Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cuts like a Knife





 
I met with the endometriosis doctor/surgeon today.  I’m not sure why but I still find it surprising when a doctor is my age.  Somehow I always think doctors should be older…than me at least.  My husband told me to just wait until the doctors are younger than me.  The doctor was a rather serious let’s get down to business sort of lady. A sugar coater she was not. I respected that quality.  She said she liked challenging cases, and as I have a challenging case she thought she could fix me up.  Of course since my case is so severe in the long run I’ll still most likely need a full hysterectomy at some point.  This upcoming surgery will hopefully delay that by three years and help to preserve my bones. 

    The plan is to be conservative…but not too conservative which is what they did during my last surgery. At that time they were too worried about damaging my reproductive organs and thought the best treatment was to get me pregnant. There still could be a chance they may just do a full hysterectomy, but the hope is that they can save at least one of my ovaries, most likely the one on the right.  There is a good chance that they will have to complete some sort of bowel resection since most of my issues are related to my intestine.  That will mean a much longer recovery period including a stay in the hospital.  It also means a respite from one of my favorite activities…eating. 

I’m waiting now to see when the surgery will be.  June seemed to be the best month because I’ll still be on the Lupron at that point.  It makes sense but if I could, I wish it could be next week because now I have several months to think about the surgery and to do less than helpful internet searches on everything that has to do with having a bowel resection.  The plus side to waiting until June is that I have plenty of time and a great excuse to eat it up at all of my favorite places before I am placed on a restricted bland diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment