Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Big Girl Weekends

(Meant to be posted several weeks ago)


When I was a little girl my father built a playhouse for me.  It was a lovely house with a deck, window boxes, curtains and a counter and sink.  It was bigger than the playhouses that were available for purchase, and I adored it.  I spent many a weekend outside in my backyard playing homemaker.  I would “bake” cakes using water and the sand from my sandbox; decorating my creations with bits and pieces of nature discovered around the yard.  I loved sweeping the floor and wiping down the furniture (though I continued to be opposed to doing actual chores in our real house), imagining that I was Laura Ingles or Anne Shirley or any number of other characters from that time period that I had adopted into my identity.



 As a big girl I still enjoy “playing” homemaker though the house and tools are more grown-up.  I am especially fond of unscheduled, unhurried weekends when I can make home to my heart’s content.

Slow weekends call for slow foods like Kielbasa in the Crockpot

Coconut, Peanut Butter Oat Balls

                                                        Coconut Peanut Butter Oat Balls

Freshly folded clothes

I couldn't find a photo of my old playhouse but I found this sketch I made a long time ago one snowy day

No comments:

Post a Comment