Friday, September 19, 2014

Dinner at Boma

We made a reservation at Boma, an African buffet located in the Animal Kingdom Lodge, for our first vacation dinner. 




If you are an adventurous eater and enjoy interesting flavors, Boma is a great place because you get to try a little bit of everything.  Now being adventurous eaters, I don’t think that the food at Boma is actually all that crazy, but I think it depends on who you are.  I saw quite a few adults there freaked out by the offerings and opting to eat the selections from the kids’ section of the buffet (chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, etc...).

We were pretty excited since it was the first dinner to kick off our vacation, so we decided to celebrate by getting a flight of wine.  I’ve seen beer flights before at local restaurants, but I’m not sure we’ve come across a wine flight before.  For those who don’t know what a flight is, it is a small tasting of a few different drinks instead of getting one drink.  Our South African wine flight included two different Chenin Blancs and one Sauvignon Blanc.  



We really liked the Chenin Blancs, and look forward to adding one to our wine rack. 

One thing that Boma’s buffet is known for is their soup, and since we were still a little damp and chilled from getting caught in the rain, a nice bowl of warm soup was just what we needed.  I tried the chicken coconut curry.


Shannon tried a seafood soup.  We both really wanted to try the carrot ginger, but sadly, we ran out of stomach space.

My other favorite items were the ribs, the salmon with almonds in orange sauce, the peanut rice, the bootie, and the spicy cous cous with dried fruit.

We ended the meal with a sampling of desserts and cups of Kenyan coffee (decaf for me).  I know people rave about Animal Kingdom Lodge’s zebra domes, but my favorite dessert out of my sampling was the strawberry-mint panna cotta.  


It was the perfect meal to kick off our trip, and once the zebra domes were consumed and our coffee cups were empty, we headed to the Grande Vista to drift off to dreamland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment