Monday, January 30, 2012

Going to the Mattresses

Our new bed (renovated bedroom to come)



















I can still vividly remember shopping for a mattress with my husband (then fiancĂ©) just a few months before our wedding.  As we tested each one trying to make a decision all I could think about was that it was going to be our mattress.  We were going to be sleeping on it together.  We were going to fall asleep on our mattress and wake up together.  I must admit that on the day we were picking out our first mattress I was so full of love, excitement and anticipation any mattress would have been comfy.  Though I had spent a good amount of time preparing my heart for marriage, there would still be a lot to learn.

Nine years later it had become apparent that we had outgrown our first mattress.  It was not as comfy as it was during those blissful newlywed days.   It had become a bit too worn in and had lost the strength that our marriage continued to have.   It was time to get a new mattress.

Our mattress this time would reflect the learning and wisdom gained by nine years of marriage and bed sleeping.  We went to the store this time with specific questions in mind.  We knew exactly what we were looking for.  In the end we chose a Sleep Number mattress.  One where we could each adjust the comfort levels of our individual sides.  I like my side to be softer.  My husband has learned that I must be loved softly.  That sometimes I like to have dreams and ideas just to have them and when I have too much to do I get overwhelmed and I need a hug and a smile and maybe a helping hand.  My husband likes his mattress to be firmer and I’ve learned that as a wife I need to give him lots of respect and support with regards to who he is and what he does. It is an art that I continue to perfect.

      Thankfully our mattress can be adjusted at any time to meet unexpected needs.  My husband might need his side to be a little softer when ill or firmer after a long day of working on the house.  I have also learned when I need to be either softer or firmer with him depending on the circumstances that are going on in our lives.  Our new mattress is supposed to last for twenty years.  I hope we will come upon a day when we find that we have outgrown yet another mattress and I look forward to all we will learn between now and that day. 

        

To those who were curious and asked, Emma (the kitty) prefers a firm mattress we think since she now sleeps on my husband's side of the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment