Friday, January 13, 2012

Finding my Hulk





This morning I got up excited about the day.  It was my birthday after all and in my mind the sun was shining (though it was not), flowers were singing, and birds were whistling a happy tune.  I was looking forward to coming home to new bedroom furniture and then having a fancy dinner at a restaurant I had yet to eat at.

I was also feeling excited about seeing a new GI doctor; someone who might be able to put a fresh perspective on my complex issues. As soon as he sat down he asked me why I left Cooper and I explained that I just had a hard time making appointments and getting ahold of people when I had emergent issues and he said, "You made a huge mistake. I don't know you, I don't know your history or your issues or what tests and diagnoses you've had. They do. You should have stayed with Cooper. You shouldn't be a doctor hopper." Then he wrote a script for blood work and said "Well we can run some blood work, but for all I know you've probably had all of these tests before." He then said if I really wanted to stay with their practice he wasn't going to cast me out. I'm not someone who cries easily but once I left the appointment I started crying because I was hoping to find someone who was going to be concerned about the issues I was having and help to figure out what was going on, but I felt like a little kid getting scolded for doing something bad.

    Since I have chronic health issues I feel like I just want to assemble the best team possible.  Is that so much to ask?  I feel like I’m Nick Fury assembling my team of Avengers.  My infertility doctor can be Iron Man and my rheumatologist can be Black Widow.  My primary doctor practice as a whole can be Captain America. Since my GI issues are probably my biggest problem I need a Hulk for that I think. Is it too much to ask that I find the best Hulk that I can?

So it looks like I’m going to have to move on to yet another GI doctor.  I have someone who comes highly recommended so I’m going to have to wait and see how that works out. 

I did get my Lupron shot yesterday (it will hopefully suppress my endometriosis) and so far so good with not having any terrible side effects (unless that is where the crying spell really came from).  I can’t say enough about how wonderfully nice and sweet the nurse at my infertility office is.  She made getting the unpleasant shot quick and simple.  I’m apparently the first person in six years of her being there that has received the Lupron shot.

And the day wasn’t all bad.  My bedroom furniture is beautiful and my fancy birthday dinner was greatly enjoyed and while writing this I’m watching Jean Luc Picard.  Maybe the second half of being 34 will be struggle free.

No comments:

Post a Comment