Monday, November 21, 2011

Secret Spy Mad Scientist

There were no unwanted trips to the restroom today during work hours so I’m hoping that is a good sign that I am on the mend. I had appointment #2 at the fertility office today. It was the same as usual, ultrasound, blood work and a chat with the IVF nurse. I was happy to find out that I am doing great. Follicles should grow at a rate of 1-3 mm per day. Harvest size is generally anywhere between 15-20 mm. After three days of medication I have 2 follicles that are already 10mm and “a bunch” that are at 3mm. I’m right on track. Now we just have to pray that the 3s keep growing and don’t straggle at any point. That has been one of my issues in the past…stragglers.
I went to work and waited for the nurse to call me with further instructions. This part is kind of exciting because it makes me feel like I’m a secret spy waiting for my next set of secret spy instructions; the kind that self-destruct after you’ve received them.
The nurse called me at 3:30pm and told me that the doctor wanted me to take 175 of Folistim and 75 of Menopur “now”. At this stage in the game I have to keep a supply of medications packed in my insulated lunch box every time I go for an appointment just in case a situation like this comes up. The Menopur takes a bit more work than the other meds because it has to be mixed. First you extract sodium chloride from one vile and inject it into a vile that has a little white tablet. You roll the vile gently to dissolve the tablet and then I inject the Folistim into the vile so that I only have to give myself one shot instead of two. I had to do all of the mixing at my desk at work and it made me feel like I was some kind of mad scientist trying to come up with a way to inject myself with super powers. Most people in my office know that I am doing IVF but I have to image some do not and wondered what people could be thinking as I carried a vile and needle into the bathroom with me. The needle is more of a traditional needle so to inject it I pinch the skin on the top of my thigh and then jab. Menopur is my second least favorite of the injections because it burns like the dickens going in. Tomorrow morning I am to take 125 of Folistim and another 75 of Menopur and then tomorrow evening I end the day with another 75 of Menopur. I go back to the office Wednesday morning and will wait for further secret instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment