Friday, April 22, 2016

The Genesis of Caye Caulker, Belize

We were going to Spain. 



I purchased a copy of The Rough Guide Andalucía. I read it.


 I started to plan out an itinerary. A day trip to Ronda. At least a few days in Granada, etc… I went to sleep with visions of tapas and churros dancing in my head.

As Shannon closed out our budget for 2015 and began setting up our budget for 2016, he noticed something. We could go to Spain, or we could take a few smaller, less expensive trips in 2016, and have our mortgage paid off by the end of the year. Less debt means more travel funds, so the Andalucía book was placed on the shelf, along with our trip to Spain. 

Now the question, where do we go for our winter escape trip?  

There was a Google search. We really enjoyed our Holbox Island trip last year, and although we wanted to go somewhere we’ve never gone before, we were hoping to find a place with a similar vibe. 



I typed in,
“places like Holbox, Mexico.”

The answer that popped up over and over again, Caye Caulker, Belize.

Belize has been a contender over the years, but always ended up in second place behind Costa Rica, or Mexico, etc... After completing my usual initial research, I found that Caye Caulker ticked off our boxes.

-Warm

-Palm trees and Blue water

-Laid Back

-Affordable


Thus our trip to Caye Caulker, Belize was born. 


1 comment:

  1. I think I'll just steal all your travel ideas and follow you around the world :)

    ReplyDelete