Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Brunch at Cody's-La Jolla

Because when you're on a trip, you can have breakfast and brunch, we stopped into Cody's, in La Jolla California.

Cody's is a very popular place for brunch in La Jolla. Being a party of two offered an advantage. Our name was called, and we were settled into our small two person table well ahead of the larger parties.



Cody's has a charming, hipster, beach cottage vibe.



We ordered a couple of fruity drinks, served in mason jars of course (I think it's some sort of hipster protocol),


and began perusing the menu.


Prior to our trip, I was listening to a discussion about chilaquiles on the Dis Unplugged Disneyland podcast.  I was hoping to try them at some point during our visit to California, so I was delighted to find them on the menu at Cody's.


Chilaquiles are tortilla chips that are cooked (simmered or sauteed) in a sauce. In this instance it was a spicy tomato sauce.  My chilaquiles were then covered with black beans, queso fresco, and creme fraiche. The whole thing was then topped with two eggs to make them brunchy.  It was quite yummy.  Two thumbs up for chilaquiles. 

Shannon got a beet and goat cheese salad with chicken. After empanadas and a doughnut for breakfast, he wanted something lighter for brunch. He said the salad was refreshing and exactly what he was hoping for. 




It was a nice, relaxing brunch, with a little view of the ocean and palm trees from the window. 



It was the kind of place that I wish I could fold up in my pocket and bring home with me, especially so that I could have chilaquiles whenever I wanted. 


Extra Note: That evening on the way home, we stopped for dinner at Brigantine Seafood. It was by far the worst meal of the trip with maybe one of the oddest servers we've ever had. I didn't think it warranted a whole post, but if you are in California I'd suggest avoiding Brigantine Seafood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment